Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Liddle Lamzy Divey

Well, what a shock, I have entered another challenge on Craftster...this time the "Craft a Favorite Song" challenge. You can check out all the entries HERE and they are awesome!
For my song I chose, "Mairzy Doats" which is a song from the 1940's that my Grammie would sing to us when we were little and we loved it. The song is a play on nonsense words, but when sung even by little ones it sounds like something else. My favorite part of the song was about the liddle lamzy divey, or "little lambs eat ivy" I always imagined a little lamb frolicking and eating ivy.

So I created a very little lamb locket in honor of my Grammie and how special she has always made me feel

Here are the lyrics, composed in 1943 by Milton Drake:
Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?
Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?
If the words sound queer and funny to your ear, a little bit jumbled and jivey,
Sing "Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy."

You can hear it HERE

Here are some details and photos:
I have a couple of of silver 2 1/2 inch pocket watch cases that I bought at a sale and decided to use one as a locket/box frame for my Liddle Lamzy. First I printed the lyrics and used that as my base for inside the case. Then I used watercolor pencils to draw a meadow. I used some old decorator sample books for the fabric for the lamb, they had the perfect texture. Cut out my lamb shapes and the ears and glued everything down. I put a small bead under her face to give it dimension. I painted details to her face. Then I did my shading and added micro beads and a flower bead around her neck. I had a pipe cleaner that was just the right color to frame Lamzy.

I think the voting takes place March 6 through March 12, of course Lamzy would love your vote, I would be forever grateful =) Have a great day XO

2 comments:

  1. I love that song! My Mom taught it to me, and I sing it to my babies now.

    I love your art piece too.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something good! ;)